Monday, July 7, 2008

Western Fells Challenge

Rather than the usual established challenges an idea occurred for a new one. The idea of running all the fells in Wainwrights “Western Fells” in a set time limit – say 18 hours - appeals: It has three attractions – no floundering about on Calva at midnight, it starts and finishes from our house at Ennerdale, and only one road crossing near the start makes it self sufficient, no not dependant upon drivers/pacers etc. Distance is circa 50M 15’000 ascent. Chuck in the principle that it can only be done in Winter for a bit of interest. Any takers? No support required but if any-one fancies an end-of-season jog round a few tops give us a shout.
MDS

4 comments:

Edis said...

I seldom run further than 10 miles at a time so running 50 might be a bit ambitious. However I'm allways up for a run and would be up for doing a good chunk of it. I could probably persuade Matt F to join in however he also rarely covers more than 10 miles at a time. If you dont object to running with long distance newbies then we could probably keep you company for a few miles...

mds said...

putting it on multimap gives 49 miles with 21,000' ascent. I reckon a winter limit of 20 hours (18 in the summer) - apart from gable/stoat fell it's all fairly runnable. Makes a change from a BG

DaveT said...

You know I'm going to say YES !!

Irk said...

I'm up for this. A large chunk, if not all with of it with you. I have the mileage in the legs after an aborted BG last weekend. Let me know. Iain.