Sunday, January 4, 2009

Are fell runners faster than mountain bikes?

After a blast round the new Altura MTB trail at Whinlatter Matt and I decided we could probably get round faster in a pair of walshes. I mentioned this to the staff at the bike shop and we decided that there would probably not be much in it. There is however only one way to find out.

The route would be the North loop of the Altura MTB trail, 10K 200m ascent. The staff at the bike shop there can get round in about 40 minutes.

I plan to have a run round over the next few weeks to see how quickly I can do it, with a bit of luck about 40 minutes.

Let me know if you would be interested in a friendly man vs mtb race.

4 comments:

DaveT said...

I've yet to try the MTB trail, but fully intend to in the near future. I too had already posed the question to myself FEET v WHEELS, though I must take into account the relatively poor state of my bike skills compared to my off road running. Could look for a time to meet up to run the course.
DT

mds said...

I used to race some bikers around Dent - 3 cuircuits of 4 M/900' apiece - beat them hands down.

They may have won had it been all forestry tracks - requires less skill!

Dunc Overton said...

As long as you get in front at some stage it's not a problem. The route is so narrow they'd never get past without falling off as your elbows inadvertantly bumped them. MTBs are much slower on the ascents. A race is a race..........

Edis said...

I just had a run round the course with Matt at a pretty quick pace, we managed 40:20 and 41:30, I suffered a little geting stuck behind some mountain bikers on a narrow section but managed to get passed on the last descent! Sub 40 minutes should be easy.

If anyone would like to have a go round I would be happy to meet up. The course is not meant to be used by runners and I imagine you could piss a lot of people off by running round on a weekned so I would suggest perhaps a morning mid week. It might also be possible to do it torch lit as I don't think mountain bikes come out at night.

Email: chrisedis@gmail.com